Monday, December 13, 2010

Last Thoughts

I haven't written a blog post in a while, and this is not because I did not want to, or had nothing to say, it was because I became caught up in so many other things regarding final projects and work and really just life that I just didn't have the time when I remembered or had access to a computer. I truly wish this class didn't have to end and ironically, I rarely say this. Most often I can't wait for my courses to end so I can move on. I feel connected, even if only in a small way to everyone in the course because of the conversations and moments we all shared over the semester. I enjoyed getting to know Beth and admire her honesty and courage every day.

For my final project I worked with Taylor and together we wrote "Under the Influence." The song began with the title "Trekno," but we changed it to its existing title because our lyrics are under the influence of our fellow classmates. Originally we were just going to write the lyrics together, but when we actually started talking about it, we realized that was plain and same 'ol same 'ol. Next we thought we would just randomly choose words somehow to make up our lyrics, but even that didn't seem to fit the criteria. Finally, we both agreed that incorporating our classmates' words from their blogs as our lyrics would be perfect because we would be hiding them in our song essentially. The only way they would ever know is if we told them so. And that's how the lyrics came about; we went through each person's blog and chose a sentence or statement we felt was profound or significant. I sang the lyrics we agreed on and Taylor composed the instrumentals prior to recording the vocals. When writing the lyrics, the amount of lines fit perfectly and ended right where we needed them to. I really am proud of our results. I think Taylor composed a beautiful song, so right off the bat I think we were headed in the right direction. I really felt the inspiration and desire in this as well, so that could have something to do with why I feel it was a success. So, here are the lyrics! Thank you all for your contribution to our project :)

"Young again, under the influence (Chris)
Go outside, there's a world awaiting (Thomas)
Was I just in an octopus garden? (Jacob)
I am pleased with just being (Justin)
Identity is a series of instances or behaviors that shape us, define us. (Katherine)
Time to get real, the beginning of fear (Kyle)
The main thing that inspires me is courage (Will)
Honestly for once, I don't have a lot to say (Ross)
Ask your inner self, I can't choose what's right and wrong (Sean)
Rain makes me lethargic (John)
Nobody knows who the hell they are (Christina)
No symbolic metaphoric bullshit, just a statue to my god of laziness (Dylan)
This shit is genious (Zach)
Speaking of pickles (Lloyd)
I couldn't help but think about the secrets I keep (Julia)
I have come to the end of me (Ben)
The whole time I was watching I was holding back tears (Joe)
I have always held it close to my heart (Travis)
I'm trying to pull it all together (Bill)
I finally have one, a new place to start (Dara)
Time, it's a gift (Kara)

Undertheinfluence by goodnightlights

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing final project! Nice job. I will miss you in class next semester. Stop by and say hello!

    ReplyDelete